Solid State Physics I
:: Home :
- Lecture 1. [Lattice and Basis].
- Lecture 2. [Reciprocal Lattice].
- Lecture 3. [Bragg's Law and Laue Equation].
- Lecture 4. [Brilliouin Zone & Ewald Construction]
- Lecture 5. [Crystal Bonding].
- Lecture 6. [Ionic and Covalent Bonding].
- Lecture 7. [VW and Metallic Bonding].
- Lecture 8. [Drude's Free Electron Theory].
- Lecture 9. [Sommerfeld's Free electron Theory].
- Lecture 10. [Band Theory of Solids].
- Lecture 11. [Kronig-Penny Model]
- Lecture 12. [Effective Electron Mass]
- Crystal Structure: Crystalline and amorphous solids, translational symmetry, crystal
structure, lattice and bases, unit cell, reciprocal lattice, fundamental type of lattices, Miller
indices, lattice planes, simple cubic, f.c.c and b.c.c lattices, Laue and Bragg equations, Determination
of crystal structure with X-rays.
- Structure of Solids: Different type of bonding- ionic, covalent, metallic, van der Waals' and
hydrogen, Band theory of solids, Periodic potential and Bloch theorem, Kronig-Penny model, energy band
structure, Band structure in conductors, direct and indirect semiconductors and isulators, free electron
theory of metals, effective mass, drift current, mobility and conductivity, Wiedemann-Franz law, Hall effect
in metals, Phenomenology and implication.
- Solid State Physics - C. Kittel / A.J. Dekker.
- Solid State Physics - N.W.Ashcroft & N.D. Mermin / Ibach & Lüth.
Principles of Condensed Matter Physics - P.C. Chaikin & T. Lubensky.
- Essentials of Solid State Physics - S.P. Kuila / Puri Babbar.
- Watch the connection between
π and prime regularities.
- Read about Hall effect